Winter training any good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter training any good?

I'm new to WIG but the short experience at the end of last year helped me to understand golf swing better and I believe made my swing more relaxed and even gave some promising results. I'm excited about thi, but the winter is very cold and long here. I'm expecting to be able to train and play outside in May. There are some indoor facilities, but trying to figure out the new swing by myself is also risky, because I can see only very little of the ball flight. I might be doing everything wrong for months and learn wrong habbits. The local pros do not teach WIG method.

What should I do? Any good advices for winter training in my situation? Or should I just wait unti May...

Originally posted by Ling View Post
    I'm new to WIG but the short experience at the end of last year helped me to understand golf swing better and I believe made my swing more relaxed and even gave some promising results. I'm excited about thi, but the winter is very cold and long here. I'm expecting to be able to train and play outside in May. There are some indoor facilities, but trying to figure out the new swing by myself is also risky, because I can see only very little of the ball flight. I might be doing everything wrong for months and learn wrong habits. The local pros do not teach WIG method.

What should I do? Any good advice for winter training in my situation? Or should I just wait unti May...
    Hi Ling..

there are any number of things that you can do to help yourself grow as a golfer during the winter months.

Shawn has had offseason training programs in the past - and I'm sure the guys can find some of the prior videos on the subject that might help you shed some light on those options and help you construct a plan for the next 16 weeks or so.

I agree with you - ball flight on a full swing is crucial - so let's flip that question around and ask..

what CAN you do at an indoor facility?

you can definitely hit short shots - defined targets and work on your pre-shot and setup routines, work on your alignment, grip and takeaway - I'm pretty confident that regardless of ball flight and playing outdoors - all those components will be needed for that as well.

so much of this game is understanding where your target is and learning how to get access to it - frankly, it's the hard work that must be done on every shot - and often it's the work that is most commonly ignored or left undone. So you have a wide array of golf shots that you can really go to school on, chips, pitches, punches ..plenty of work that can only help you ..and take a few full swings just for fun and for feel..don't sweat the technique..but do sweat the sense and focus of your target.

as for other hours - Shawn has started a Yoga Video Series - and I suspect that learning more about that or comparable stretching program would do wonders for your Spring Season - and there are any number of things that you can do in terms of working on your fitness as well.

and that's just the physical side -

you can also spend some quality time working on your alignment and putting, reading on or watching videos on concepts of getting into the Zone, meditating, working on your focus and concentration ..

any one of those things would be of some benefit to you as well - doing these in combination ..

well - I would be curious to see how it helps your game..

best of luck for 2017

cheers

k_f

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
    tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Ling k_f has given you some great advice. You should definitely visit the indoor facility. It will not only help you work on your swing, but it will also help ease your boredom of waiting until May to golf. I know I have a difficult time waiting in the winter for decent golf weather. If the weather conditions are right about 40 degrees F, no or very little wind, and not much snow on the ground, I WILL GO OUT AND PLAY A ROUND OF GOLF. I do walk because it good exercise and walking keeps me warmer.

I especially like kid's advice; "you can definitely hit short shots - defined targets and work on your pre-shot and setup routines, work on your alignment, grip and takeaway - I'm pretty confident that regardless of ball flight and playing outdoors - all those components will be needed for that as well."

Comment

Thanks guys. Apart from yoga and/or other physical excercise, do you guys do some excercises with club (or training aid) at home? Does Shawn have any videos on off season training?

I would need to work on my grip but I'd like to see how the ball flights is. I have a tendency to let go of the grip at the top of swing or I squeeze it too hard. It 's nor easy to hold on tight but have relaxed wrists and arms. If you have good tips or videos on that, I would be pleased.

Comment

Working...
        X