Eye position when putting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye position when putting?

I feel silly asking this question, but where do you have your eyes when putting? From Shawn's videos, the arms should hang and everything should centre from the sternum. Should you head and eyes and sternum be directly over the ball? or at the back of the ball? I have watched a few of Shawn's putting videos and I can't seem to find any info on where exactly the eyes should be.

Hi guys,
    I don't think the question is "silly" at all?
    I have long advocated that WHERE one LOOKS while they are performing the golf-motion is KEY to performance.
    In most golf shots, I do not look at the ball at all?
    In putting, I believe one should look at that point on the (rear) circumference of the "sphere" (ball), DIRECTLY on the line on which we wish to start the ball.
    It is on that point that we wish to make club-face-contact with the ball.

dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Thanks COSTA103, so would you suggest the sternum low point of the swing is inbetween the rear of the ball and he putter and your eye's should focus on that point.

Comment

In a word, yes.

What I believe is rooted in your basic high-school geometry which tells us that there is ONLY ONE point of intersection between a SPHERE (ball) and a PLANE (putter-face)...
        and there is ONLY ONE FACE ANGLE that will ALLOW contact upon that point?

In putting, the ball will pretty much take off IN the direction that the putter-face is POINTING? There IS some component related to putter-HEAD-PATH, but most of us can pretty much handle that basic aspect closely enough...

We all try diligently to CONTROL the putter-FACE-ANGLE when we swing...
        I think that's where we go wrong. I do not believe that we should TRY to "control" that face-angle AT ALL?
        That's because one's CONSCIOUS mind is not smart enough to handle the requisite level of precision.

So I LOOK at the point where I want my putter-face to make contact with the ball and TRUST my SUB-conscious mind to take care of the necessary small-hand muscles to make that happen? There is only ONE face-angle that'll work and my sub-conscious knows what it is and how to create it?

In other words I tell my brain: "...See that point? Go hit that point..." and there's only ONE face-angle that'll accomplish that specific task...
        and my sub-conscious mind is the best there is for that job. So I just let it do its job?

Works for me?

dude abides
        Last edited by COSTA103; 12-10-2017, 01:19 AM.
        "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
        Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

I was long time good in putting with not looking at the ball, but to something short of the hole. For shorter putts that was fine, for longer it was so so.
          Now I changed to an intermediate target about 3-4 feet in front of the ball, even if the hole is 15 years further away.
          The advantage of the methode is, I have a constant set up and the very smal target, which I selected on the line the ball should roll, is a very exact target. Like for short putts the mental believe is, you can make it, you can let roll the ball over that small leave of grass.
          The speed to the hole is pure guessing, but works most times astonishing good.
          2 yard putts are getting much easier with that method, basically I turn them in a 1 yard putt.

Comment

Personally, I don't try to control the putter face or angle or whatever. I just read the green, take my posture (don't even think about being on top of the ball or anything like that). Just feel if it's a good position to reach the hole and correct accordingly, especially alignment. When I feel ok I just swing the ACU in rhythm with my target trajectory in mind. It's like playing an iron really but on flat ground. I read somewhere that the brain compensate automatically anyway if you're misaligned. Now, I'm not great at putting and maybe I should read more carefully what's being said here ;-)

Comment

Great Topic! This may be a bit off topic or just going deeper into the rabbit hole.
              Eye focus is extremely important. It the most important sense one uses to gather information needed to make your putt. It is also the sense that can gather a lot of information that will interfere with making your putt., like noticing where some one is standing, noticing your shoes or seeing your ball marker and start thinking about it etc. In other words what your eye notices will lead your mind to think about what you see. That is why it important to develop "The Quiet Eye." This is to focus using your eye vision only to gather information you need to make the putt. Chris Riddoch expertly explains it in his book "Expert Putting." And you can find a few videos on You Tube explaining it. The best video I know is from the Public Broadcast Station (PBS).

Comment

A summary of Chris Riddoch thinking on putting mentioned hy Ron available here http://www.thegolfswingzone.com/expert-putting.html

In putting, an effective routine is:

1. Imagine a putt that will find the hole – see the ball falling into the hole
                2. Address the putt, aim, and look at the hole for 3-4 seconds
                3. Look at the ball for 1-2 seconds
                4. Think about the hole, or the ball falling into the hole (and nothing else)
                5. Make a short-to-long positive stroke (backswing double the time of the downswing)
                6. Smile

Comment

• COSTA103
                  COSTA103 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Time yourself sometime.......

You need to spend MORE time "communicating" with the Target than you do with the Ball.

.......STARE at the TARGET; GLANCE at the BALL...."

dude abides

• Ferko
                  Ferko commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Costa, I'm always impressed by your ability to distill the heart of the matter and rephrase it in a literally memorable sentence highlighting the key concepts. I think I will start collecting this kind of sentences of yours. In a few years I'll publish a book. Not sure about the title. Many years from now, this book will be endlessly commented by scholars and laymen trying to figure out what the author of the quotes meant. Some will see practical advices while others will see some deeper meanings and even some explanations on the meaning of it All. Really like the idea ;-)

• COSTA103
                  COSTA103 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A very nice "Christmas" sentiment, Ferko. Thank you.
                  Perhaps you can gift me a copy of that BOOK at some future Christmas?
                  I have a book in mind myself....someday?
                  The title is all set. I'll consider SELLING it to you at the right price?

Love this place and you guys
                  dude abides

I can just say you that, you body posture is really important while putting. So, keep your balance and when you swings your eyes shouldnt get closed. That's the Key.All you need to focus on your head and eye movement. Other than that, your eyes should be in line with the shoulders. I found this tutorial for you. here they have explained really well. You can have a crack here as well.Best Golf Irons 2018 Reviews
                We have compiled a complete list of best golf irons for beginners so that you can get a fair bit of idea about the best Golf irons around.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpineberlinette View Post
                  I was long time good in putting with not looking at the ball, but to something short of the hole. For shorter putts that was fine, for longer it was so so.
                  Now I changed to an intermediate target about 3-4 feet in front of the ball, even if the hole is 15 years further away.
                  The advantage of the methode is, I have a constant set up and the very smal target, which I selected on the line the ball should roll, is a very exact target. Like for short putts the mental believe is, you can make it, you can let roll the ball over that small leave of grass.
                  The speed to the hole is pure guessing, but works most times astonishing good.
                  2 yard putts are getting much easier with that method, basically I turn them in a 1 yard putt.
                  Alpineberlinette , not sure I get it. Are you saying you're looking at an intermediate point 3-4 feet in front of the ball while putting?
                  Last edited by Ferko; 12-27-2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Yes, exactly. My intention is to hit that intermediate target (roll the ball over it). This target is as tiny as possible​​​​​. The length of the put is pure guessing. I have the picture of the final target in mind. See also 2 face video of Shawn, is not for putting, but same idea.

Comment

The eyes over the ball or inside the ball debate really screw me over that for a while as I was so concerned with where my eyes were that I could not putt worth anything
                      doesn’t really matter to me anymore
                      I find that when I use the line on the ball sometimes will help align my eyeballs. As long as my eyeballs move conjugately along the line all that matters. My head is open to my target as I feel comfortable and U try not to move my head just my eyeballs

Comment

• Ken Robie
                        Ken Robie commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think it's more important as to how comfortable and stable the head, neck, and shoulders sit than where your eyes look. In my case the bi-focal position in my glasses plays the largest roll in that. Forearm length and putter construction play an even greater roll in the posture stabilization.
                    Working...
                    X