X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 New Golf Rules Changes

2019 New Rules

Hi guys,

It is IMPORTANT to note that (to the best of MY knowledge) these changes remain PROPOSED changes to the Rules....

When 2019 arrives, these points that are outlined in these topical videos may or may NOT become the law-of-the-land?

From where I sit, I'm not sure that I'm in favor of many of these proposals?

For example: IF you can "ground your club" and "remove loose impediments" when your ball is in a Lateral-Hazard", WHERE and WHAT is the PENALTY for hitting your ball INTO the Hazard?

dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Hey Costa according to the article in Golfweek March 12 2018, the new rules have been adopted See link https://golfweek.com/2018/03/12/new-...or-2019-debut/

You will be allowed to remove impediments from the bunkers, like the video demonstrates. This I agree with because it includes stones and some of the bunkers have gravel more than stones. Also the golf course will be able to adopt a new rule for out of bounds its. You will be allowed to drop your ball in the vicinity of where the ball went out of bounds.

Comment

• COSTA103
        COSTA103 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sir Ron...

".....best of MY knowledge...." has duly and rightfully been amended. Please refer to update in my awareness-base appendix as annotated...

Thanks

dude abides

I just bought one last week. Great club.Tried it for 18 holes. I like the way it feels and sounds, but I am thinking to have it re-shafted though. But I am a bit too picky, so have a go at it.

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
        Hi guys,

It is IMPORTANT to note that (to the best of MY knowledge) these changes remain PROPOSED changes to the Rules....

When 2019 arrives, these points that are outlined in these topical videos may or may NOT become the law-of-the-land?

From where I sit, I'm not sure that I'm in favor of many of these proposals?

For example: IF you can "ground your club" and "remove loose impediments" when your ball is in a Lateral-Hazard", WHERE and WHAT is the PENALTY for hitting your ball INTO the Hazard?

dude abides

I don't know of anything that would prevent them from going into effect at this point. I just got my notice for the schedule of the Rules of Golf workshops to cover these new rules. I will likely attend in October. They won't be teaching these workshops unless the rules are finalized.

I sympathize with you on some of the changes. The purist in me believes in the sentiments expressed in the Tufts book, "The Principles Behind the Rules of Golf," where he says (among other things) golf is a game of skill and is supposed to be a challenge.

That said, given there's no fair way to "just use common sense," I do think some of the changes are for the better because of the ridiculous situations would could exist. For example, when in a hazard, while it made sense you could not move a loose impediment, it lead to some ridiculous rulings such as slightly moving a loose blade of grass on your backswing (that you didn't even see) is a penalty. The only way to remove such minor infractions is to remove the loose impediment in a hazard rule completely.

My biggest concern about the new rules is the "penalty areas" designation. Under the new rules, a course can designate anything a penalty area. Don't want players having to play out of the woods on the right side of the fairway? Designate the entire thing as a penalty area. Don't want them searching for balls in the high grass on the left side? Designate it a penalty area too. Now, nobody will have to search for balls or try to execute a difficult shot. Just drop one, take your stroke and move on. Very positive for pace of play, but not positive for preserving the principles of golf.

Comment

Working...
        X