2016 Rules of Golf Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Rules of Golf Changes

Hey Folks, with 2016 right around the corner, I thought it'd be good to review the most significant rule changes.

Anchoring - Rule 14-1b:

The first thing to understand is this is NOT an equipment rule. If you've been using a long putter, you're free to continue using that putter. What you can't do, is anchor it against your body, with the exception of against your forearm. If you have previously held it against your chin, chest or belly, you simply have to move it off the anchor point and you're legal.

Submitting an incorrect score - Rule 6-6d:

Previously, if you submitted an incorrect score because of a penalty of which you were unaware, you were disqualified. Now the penalty becomes the original penalty, plus 2-strokes for an incorrect score. Note that this does not absolve the player of the responsibility of knowing the rules as required by Rule 6-1. It removes the disqualification, but the penalty is still severe. As an example, let's say a player does not know they cannot ground their club in a hazard and does so 3 times during a round. Previously, they would have been disqualified for turning a scorecard which did not include those penalties. Under this change, the play would be penalized 2 strokes for each infraction of grounding their club in a hazard (6 strokes), plus 2-strokes for an incorrect scorecard for every instance (6 strokes), for a total of 12 strokes of penalty.

Using a training aid during a stipulated round - Rule 14-3:

Previously, any use of a training aid during a stipulated round was an immediate disqualification, as cases such as Julie Inkster's illustrated. Now the penalty is 2-strokes for a first offense, and then disqualification for a subsequent offense.

Ball moving after address - Rule 18-2b:s

Previously, if you had addressed the ball, you were assessed a penalty if the ball moved. Only in the very narrow case of when it was known or virtually certain the player did not cause the ball to move could the player avoid a penalty. An additional complication is there really is no way under the rules to "unaddress" the ball. Had you addressed the ball, walked across the fairway and the ball moved, you could still have been subject to a penalty. Under this change, there is no penalty unless it can be shown the player, his caddie, or equipment caused the ball to move.

These obviously are only the major changes. Some rules have been rewritten for clarity, decisions have been updated. I'll discuss some of those changes in later posts. Until then, if you have questions, feel free to ask.

These are really common sense rule changes. Good to see the USGA and R&A are consistently trying to improve the rules.

Comment

Just a reminder folks: it's 2016. The new rule changes are in effect, as well as handicap rules (rounds played completely solo cannot be posted in the US).

Comment

Right on Wade! Thanks for the reminder! I am breathing a sigh of relief for the poor souls who will be spared this wrath this upcoming season!
        Happy New Year to you and family!

Comment

Originally posted by wadesworld View Post
          Just a reminder folks: it's 2016. The new rule changes are in effect, as well as handicap rules (rounds played completely solo cannot be posted in the US).
          This is a bummer since I usually play solo. Good for Canada for not going along with it.

Comment

Playing solo is a very important part of the game for devellopment though; I encourage many of my students to get out there solo once in a while to practice focus!

Comment

It's fun playing solo and I'm lucky my local course isn't super busy so I do quite a bit. My handicap will just be unofficial

Comment

Moe and Ben used to play 2 to 3 balls at a time and use the worst one to work on their scoring skills when playing alone; it is a great way to dig deep into the motivational part of focus for competition later; once they realised they could score well on their worst shots, it made them more comfortable when the chips were down; going to be doing a video on that when spring comes and we do a lot of on course in the premium channel; can't wait because my focus is getting better too; last 9 holes I played in Australia, I am now 15 for 18 on my full shots.

Comment

Does the Anchoring Rule 14 - 1 b apply to pros and amateurs?

Comment

Originally posted by wadesworld View Post
                    Hey Folks, with 2016 right around the corner, I thought it'd be good to review the most significant rule changes.

Anchoring - Rule 14-1b:

The first thing to understand is this is NOT an equipment rule. If you've been using a long putter, you're free to continue using that putter. What you can't do, is anchor it against your body, with the exception of against your forearm. If you have previously held it against your chin, chest or belly, you simply have to move it off the anchor point and you're legal.

Submitting an incorrect score - Rule 6-6d:

Previously, if you submitted an incorrect score because of a penalty of which you were unaware, you were disqualified. Now the penalty becomes the original penalty, plus 2-strokes for an incorrect score. Note that this does not absolve the player of the responsibility of knowing the rules as required by Rule 6-1. It removes the disqualification, but the penalty is still severe. As an example, let's say a player does not know they cannot ground their club in a hazard and does so 3 times during a round. Previously, they would have been disqualified for turning a scorecard which did not include those penalties. Under this change, the play would be penalized 2 strokes for each infraction of grounding their club in a hazard (6 strokes), plus 2-strokes for an incorrect scorecard for every instance (6 strokes), for a total of 12 strokes of penalty.

Using a training aid during a stipulated round - Rule 14-3:

Previously, any use of a training aid during a stipulated round was an immediate disqualification, as cases such as Julie Inkster's illustrated. Now the penalty is 2-strokes for a first offense, and then disqualification for a subsequent offense.

Ball moving after address - Rule 18-2b:s

Previously, if you had addressed the ball, you were assessed a penalty if the ball moved. Only in the very narrow case of when it was known or virtually certain the player did not cause the ball to move could the player avoid a penalty. An additional complication is there really is no way under the rules to "unaddress" the ball. Had you addressed the ball, walked across the fairway and the ball moved, you could still have been subject to a penalty. Under this change, there is no penalty unless it can be shown the player, his caddie, or equipment caused the ball to move.

These obviously are only the major changes. Some rules have been rewritten for clarity, decisions have been updated. I'll discuss some of those changes in later posts. Until then, if you have questions, feel free to ask.
                    ​Hi guys,
                    Thanks for the rules-update, Wade!

However? Are we SURE about this? Seems to me that although the player grounded his club THREE times, he only submitted ONE incorrect scorecard?

Just thinkin' out loud?

Dude

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• COSTA103
                      COSTA103 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi guys,
                      As I think about this, my brain may have fallen victim of the old rules?
                      As far as I understand it, a player's responsibility (scorecard wise) is NOT to do the MATH in TOTALLING one's FIINAL SCORE.
                      It IS the player's responsibility to record the NUMBER OF SHOTS taken on EACH HOLE.
                      Following THAT logic, Wade's fictional player grounded his club (in a hazard) THREE times and each time failed to include the applicable penalty.
                      That would result in THREE infractions of incorrect score.
                      I can certainly see where Wade is potentially correct. He probably is.

Be water, my friends
                      Dude abides

• Ken Robie
                      Ken Robie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Costa, what about in the situation of discovering that you had too many clubs or an illegal club in the bag after your round has started and you have played "x" amount of holes??

Yeah, Dude, I had a hard time wrapping my head around that, too.

I'm assuming that it means if you don't count the penalty and turn in the card it becomes (penalty stokes + 2) for each infraction and not just +2 for the entire score. Pretty brutal and a good reason to learn the rules.
                    Last edited by mrfixit; 01-05-2016, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Hi guys,
                      ​Ken, the too-many-clubs situation is already covered in THAT rule which includes a MAXIMUM number of HOLES penalty (I think it's up to a maximum of two; depending upon which hole the breach was discovered?)

Dude
                      "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                      Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Oh yeah Ok Thanks

Comment

Can you believe what they are doing to DJ right now?? This is insane! Wade, we need to talk some sense into those guys! If I were DJ, I would have said "oh yeah? SHOW ME NOW AND LET'S BE DONE WITH IT!"

we can easily assume an uneven blade of grass could have caused this and therefore, he gets the benefit of the doubt immediately! Now intent to move the ball either, not in a million years!

It is a very sad day for the USGA...

Comment

Agree.It's absurd. Make the ruling and play. DON'T wait until the round is over before making a decision. That is NOT PROFESSIONAL.

Glad to see some of other big name players supporting DJ!

Comment

Working...
                            X