Butterfly Grip For Chipping?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly Grip For Chipping?

Just been looking at this video by Alex Fortey (who promotes WIG principles) and he mentions using the butterfly grip for short chips /pitches. I've actually been using the butterfly grip for shots out of bunkers the last 2 seasons and haven't left one in the sand yet but it never occurred to me to use it for chips/pitches. Not sure if any other WIG members have tested this out before but I'm going to give it a try and will report back.

PS. I think he made an error with the right hand grip saying it was stronger rather than weaker.
    Last edited by Schrodinger; 3 weeks ago.

Hi guys,

Help an old man out with this one?

I'm not familiar with the "BUTTERFLY grip"?
    Can someone help me out?

dude abides
    "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
    Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Originally posted by COSTA103 View Post
      I'm not familiar with the "BUTTERFLY grip"?
      Hi Dude,

I'm glad I'm not the only one not familiar with the BUTTERFLY grip. After seeing Schrodinger's post I looked it up on YouTube, and I found a few videos on it. Of the ones I found, I think this one is a good explanation and demonstration of it . . .

Basically it's a strong lead hand grip and a weak trail hand grip (the hands form the shape of a butterfly). It seems to make sense when you want to keep the bounce activated, and the clubface more open through impact . . . for chipping, bunker shots, and flop shots.

Comment

Thanks Cally for taking the initiative to look up something that THIS old man was obviously TOO LAZY to do for himself?

It DOES seem to make some sense? I'm looking forward to trying it at our practice facility tomorrow?

Thanks!!!!

Love this place and you guys.

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• Cally
          Cally commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude, will you let us know how it goes for you?

I haven't tried the butterfly grip yet, but I guess with the weak trail hand grip this basically takes the "knife the grip" feel with the trigger finger out of play for the most part. And I can see how the release would be impeded with the weak trail hand, but I guess that's the point of the butterfly grip.

• Cally
          Cally commented
          Editing a comment
          I just experimented with the butterfly grip for flop shots and chips. For me the results are about the same as when I use my standard grip for these shots. If any difference, there seems to be a slightly softer feel through impact, and a bit more height on the flop shots using the butterfly grip, but overall it's a similar result compared to my normal grip for a flop shot. On chips I didn't see much of a difference at all. For the record, I did 40 flop shots, and 20 chip shots. Also, I used my 58 degree wedge with 8 degrees of bounce for all shots.

• Schrodinger
          Schrodinger commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto Cally - not much difference at all for chips/pitches although I think I will still retain it for bunkers.

Hi guys,

I tried the butterfly-grip today.....

As described, I found it very "uncomfortable" (read: "different"?)

What I settled on was my "normal" top-hand and a very "weak" low-hand.

That DID seem to RETAIN the BOUNCE on the club, enabling the ball to launch HIGHER?

So.....maybe I'm experimenting with HALF a Butterfly???

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

• Ken Robie
          Ken Robie commented
          Editing a comment
          Changing from "The Dude" to Madam Butterfly???? ;>)

On my "executive length" nine-hole training course today, "Madam Butterfly" shot 29 (minus 5)?
        Five wedge/pitch/chips within 7 feet....TWO of which found the bottom of the hole for EAGLE?

Love this place and you guys

dude abides

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

So did you use the the new "soft" grip or your regular grip for those??

Comment

Working...
          X