AHA Moment - Grip - Regular Chip/Pitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AHA Moment - Grip - Regular Chip/Pitch

Was spending a good few hours pitching and chipping with some really sweet strikes but suddenly got a few '0.5-1.0' ft pulls left which effectively means a really wayward shot in terms of accuracy. Couldn't understand why as my setup seemed fine, was feeling the weight of the ACU, retaining that lower case y, not actively shifting any weight laterally, allowing my hips to get out the way, etc etc. Watched Shawn's video below and noticed something quite subtle which I wasn't monitoring at all in my own swing. I was so preoccupied with keeping/feeling that lower case y intact from a 'front view' , I forgot all about how it should look/feel from a side view. If you look at Shawn's lead wrist , it is slightly bowed (at least geometrically flat), and he retains that shape throughout the 'short chip/short pitch' swing (there is no trace of a snuff box hinge in his lead wrist). Yet for me , because I have shorter legs (or longer arms compared to my legs) than Shawn, I am setting up around the length of my wedge (which is probably too long for me), and my lead wrist snuff box is slightly concave at setup and must sometimes be hinging a bit more in my swing, lifting the toe and causing the clubface to point left at impact. So now at setup , I grip the club low enough to allow my lead wrist to replicate Shawn's bowed (unhinged snuff box) shape and this has now eradicated that odd frustrating pull. Maybe, we need to stress that the angle between the lead forearm and club shaft should also be retained in the short chip/pitch swing while we keep that lower case y intact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C69nets7AVM

I don't mean to know "your" exact chipping dysfunction ,how ever I will point out or remind you that it is very easy when doing a lot of repetitive drills that the body will tend to take a set in a particular direction do to the muscles tightening. One of the fixes that I use to prevent the pull is to just place something outside of the normal club path to provide the visual feed back that my club did indeed come from the outside of my intended direction.

Comment

• Schrodinger
      Schrodinger commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Ken - Yes your probably correct , muscles tightening could be the issue as I do go overboard with the repetitive drill. Will try your fix suggestion.

Looks like my original comment was way too much deep thinking for my problems with chipping/pitching direction (although a valid point I think!). It looks like I've a re-emergence of an old habit . When I do the braced tilt for the full swing, my shoulders and hips are closed (which I think is correct from Shawn's original videos). When I setup for a regular chip or short pitch using the 'retain lower case y technique' that Shawn advocates, I am also doing the braced tilt and my shoulders are 'still closed' even with a slightly open stance (ie, preset position). So I'm basically setting myself up for an OTT move , even for short pitches/chips, where my shoulders are trying to get aligned naturally with my hips. This is causing the odd push and pull shots if my timing is off even for the small swings.
    So my question to the expert WIG members out there (for regular chip/pitch - using Shawns lower case y technique only) is:
    1. Do I still do a braced tilt for the regular chip/pitch?
    2. If I have an open preset stance, must I also have preset open hips and open shoulders too?

PS.
    Just reviewed Shawn's 'Short Game Basics' video and it looks like the answer to 1 is yes. For point 2 , we do preset the hips open as per impact but uncertain about the alignment of the shoulders? I don't think they should be closed to target line like mine are. Probably less open than the hips or parallel to target line.
    Last edited by Schrodinger; 12-27-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Hi -All
      Rather than open a new topic, just wanted to clarify a small point about 'connection' feel during the release section of the full swing and the whole swing (in the same release section) for regular chips and small pitches. Am I correct in assuming that there needs to be a slight connection (not a crash) between the upper arms and pecs during the release section? That we need to feel this slight connection so that our body can time its get out of the way action? That letting the arms swing freely from their shoulder sockets with a slight distance from our upper body (during the release section only) might be incorrect? I am tending to think that if we have a certain distance between our arms and upper ribcage/pecs , then our central nervous system might think there was no need to get out of the way , our body will stop, and we will end up with some other problem in the follow-through.

Comment

Hi Schrodinger, Hi Guys
        I am tending to think that if we have a certain distance between our arms and upper ribcage/pecs , then our central nervous system might think there was no need to get out of the way , our body will stop, and we will end up with some other problem in the follow-through.
        I think you may have a point here. I have a bad habit of "stopping at the ball" during the chip swing and the way that I cope with this is to swing the whole "machine" and feel "more connected." When I do swing the whole "machine," I have to guard against taking the club to far inside on the move back. This is where I utilize Shawn's "full body waggle" concept. This helps make sure that I don't yank the club to the inside.

The "full body waggle" also ensures that I send the momentum in the right direction. There's that target thing again.

I feel that if you swing the whole "machine," you should not be able to have a "crash."

Cheers FJ
        AKA...FJ

Proud member of Crackpot National & CC since 2013.

If your goal is to be Target Focused, why not Face the Target when you Putt?

Old Forum Stats

Register Date: 02 Jun 2011
        Thank you received: 325
        Profile Views: 720

Comment

Ok, glad I caught this thread you guys! Answers to Schrodinger questions 1- no, there is no pre turn in the chip set up as we are not getting ready to perform a complete backswing that would otherwise leave us with way too much momentum. So, we simulate IMPACT POSITION WITH THE FULL SWING AT ADDRESS AND IT WOULD BE THE FADE IMPACT POSITION. Then we simply feel that we are in a PMD for a long putt and allow the next swing to cutnthe dandelion stem in the direction we want to land the ball.
          ANSWER TO QUESTION 2; YES, as we set up for the fade and then freeze at the moment of impact, our rib cage and pelvis are about 30 degrees open, braced against the lead side, left wrist and back of hand flat or slightly bowed, and the only thing back is the 20/20 head. Use a door frame to feel how you let momentum squeeeeeze the ball through and use the kettle bell drill to feel the "most important relationship in the golf swing": THAT OF ARM SWING AND BODY TURNING IN REACTION TO ALLOWING THE ARMS TO SWING IN THE DIRECTION YOU WANT THE BALL TO GO.

Comment

As for the connection thing: I know how we are going to get this point across using a door frame and or the lumberjack and tree. Next video of course!! 😀😀👍👍
            In the meantime, set up with the doorframe and a 5 iron: use momentum and the weight of the arms and club to compress the ball through this door frame...you feel full freedom in the backswing as the body swivels out of the way like the full body waggle pigaman beautifully pointed out; then as the arms and club levitate up and the body prepares and braces against the left side, the arms fall back down and the body returns out of the way heading through the doorframe and at impact, you will find yourself CONNECTED AT THE ARM PITS TO THE RIB CAGE AND FROM THE GROUND UP, YOU WILL FEEL APPLIED COMPRESSION THROUGH THIS DOOR FRAME. From spikes, through walls of shoes, through legs and hips and leverage into the doorframe through core, shoulders connected to top of ribcage, through secure grip, loaded shaft and secure club face into the frame of the friggin house!

Comment

• Schrodinger
              Schrodinger commented
              Editing a comment
              Many thanks Shawn for this fantastic detailed reply. Also , many thanks to Pigaman too .
          Working...
          X