Chipping with WIG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipping with WIG

So I've been making good progress in my full swing game after attending Shawn's session in Nashville this year.

However my chipping game has been very poor. In particular, I have the tendency to hit my chips WAY too far. On a chip that needs to land one-third of the way to the hole, I would often end up landing it right at the hole, resulting in it going two-thirds too far.

Yesterday I was trying to figure out what the source of my inaccuracy was. Finally, it hit me - tension! On chips I was "firming up" in an effort to "have control." That was EXACTLY THE WRONG thing to do. It was robbing me of feel, and absent that feel, my brain was speeding up my chip swing to ensure I didn't duff.

So instead, I simply started setting up to ensure the club would bottom out in front of the ball, and then I let go of control. My focus was simply on cutting grass while letting the club do whatever it wanted to do.

On the first hole, I holed out a bunker shot to save par. Over the course of the round, I nearly chipped in 5 times with three of them actually hitting the edge of the hole and popping out. All 5 ended as tap-ins or extremely short putts I had no problem finishing. The rest of the guys in my group could not believe it. One of them asked what kind of wedges I was using because I was the best chipper he had ever seen.

So, the message is, letting go of control is not just about the full swing. Focus on letting go on your chips and pitches too and I'm quite sure you'll see the same results. As Shawn tells us over and over, when we give our brain the picture we want and then just let it happen, amazing things will result.

Same thing with bunker shots. While I still struggle with shots out of unraked footprints (very aggravating) I have gained a higher percentage of ups and downs by relaxing.

Comment

Originally posted by wadesworld View Post
      So I've been making good progress in my full swing game after attending Shawn's session in Nashville this year.

However my chipping game has been very poor. In particular, I have the tendency to hit my chips WAY too far. On a chip that needs to land one-third of the way to the hole, I would often end up landing it right at the hole, resulting in it going two-thirds too far.

Yesterday I was trying to figure out what the source of my inaccuracy was. Finally, it hit me - tension! On chips I was "firming up" in an effort to "have control." That was EXACTLY THE WRONG thing to do. It was robbing me of feel, and absent that feel, my brain was speeding up my chip swing to ensure I didn't duff.

So instead, I simply started setting up to ensure the club would bottom out in front of the fresh golf balls, and then I let go of control. My focus was simply on cutting grass while letting the club do whatever it wanted to do.

On the first hole, I holed out a bunker shot to save par. Over the course of the round, I nearly chipped in 5 times with three of them actually hitting the edge of the hole and popping out. All 5 ended as tap-ins or extremely short putts I had no problem finishing. The rest of the guys in my group could not believe it. One of them asked what kind of wedges I was using because I was the best chipper he had ever seen.

So, the message is, letting go of control is not just about the full swing. Focus on letting go on your chips and pitches too and I'm quite sure you'll see the same results. As Shawn tells us over and over, when we give our brain the picture we want and then just let it happen, amazing things will result.
      already learned these tactics

Comment

Working...
      X