Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really struggling with short chips and I mean really SHORT!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really struggling with short chips and I mean really SHORT!

Here's the problem scenario that is wreaking havoc with my golf game; I miss a green and find myself in thicker grass with the ball sitting down. The ball is visible but clearly sitting down. I only need to chip the ball a couple feet at most, anything more and the ball will run away too far. I end up with all kinds of problems with this shot; skulls, fat shots, or just too hard of a chip that runs far from the hole.

With longer chips I am fine but the shorter the chips I start having problems? The shorter the chip the more I struggle??? Of course now to make matters worse it's gotten in my head that I can't hit this shot and I struggle even more with it.

The shorter the chip...the more I struggle. Is there good advice for these ultra-short chips???

Originally posted by K5thbeatle View Post
    Here's the problem scenario that is wreaking havoc with my golf game; I miss a green and find myself in thicker grass with the ball sitting down. The ball is visible but clearly sitting down. I only need to chip the ball a couple feet at most, anything more and the ball will run away too far. I end up with all kinds of problems with this shot; skulls, fat shots, or just too hard of a chip that runs far from the hole.

With longer chips I am fine but the shorter the chips I start having problems? The shorter the chip the more I struggle??? Of course now to make matters worse it's gotten in my head that I can't hit this shot and I struggle even more with it.

The shorter the chip...the more I struggle. Is there good advice for these ultra-short chips???
    Hi K5,

This is what works for me for a very short chip shot out of the rough . . .

I use my most lofted wedge (a 58 degree with 8 degrees of bounce) and I open the club face at least 45 degrees which will create a glancing blow with a lot less energy imparted to the ball than a normal chip shot with a square face at impact. I open my stance to the target just like I would for a normal chip shot and the only real difference is with the 45 degree open face, the chip swing feels more like a heel to toe cutting action. The ball pops up nicely with a little spin and depending on how much momentum I use through the cut I can pretty consistently control the distance. For me, the wide open face and relatively gentle momentum through the cut are the keys to landing the ball a very short distance. That said, I practice a lot of chipping, and flop shots, and short pitch shots, in the yard, so over time I've developed a pretty good feel for these short game shots.

And, besides Shawn's open face chip shot video on the Premium Channel, here's Shawn's You Tube video where he shows the short chip shot with an open face out of thick rough . . .

Note: In this video I realize that Shawn is sending the ball farther than what you're talking about, but just use less momentum to control the distance.

If you aren't comfortable opening the face then the other option that might work for you (if you're not in thick rough) is the method of using a putting grip to deaden the impact. Here's Shawn's video on this where he says a chip shot with this type of grip is like putting with loft . . .

Hope this helps!

Comment

Hey K5,

First of all, the chip you describe is a really difficult shot. Your expectations should be that that you don't want the ball to stay in the rough and you don't want the ball rolling off the green. You want to be putting the ball on your next shot. You need to practice opening up your highest lofted club and working on how much momentum you need to land the ball say 7 feet, 5 feet and 3 feet. This will at least give you a chance to have a decent putt. Plus, you will have a goldilocks momentum feel to use.

Comment

Working...
      X