Struggling with staying centered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struggling with staying centered

Hello all, has anyone really struggled with staying centered, and having their head move all over the place, and had a successful transformation to being very centered with steady head?

I've made progress getting more and more out to the target and with my rhythm, but really struggle with my head moving all over the place. Specifically, it moves way back off the ball. Of course, progress with out to target and rhythm is limited when I'm so off center, being they're all connected.

Even practicing the OLD and feet together, my head will move around too much. Any recommendations? I'm getting ready to have someone start holding my hair as I practice!

What eye are looking at the spot/ball with?? Does your "dangly ear ring" stay against your left (leading side) of your face during your back swing? Set up a make shift door frame and set up to it like you were going to make a live swing, notice how much of the door frame you can see before you start your swing and then after you get to the top of your back swing. Notice how much more or less of the door frame you can see. Then see if your spine angle and tilt feel the same or not. your answer is in there some where.

Comment

You want to make sure that your first move off the ball is to turn or pivot your hips, rather than sway or make a lateral move.

Comment

Hi guys,
        Hi Wayde,

Here are a couple great videos . . . the Visual Reference Head Tilt was especially helpful to me :

Comment

The above are great videos on the subject you brought up. I would also include the following:

Combining a solid base with "crouch ,extend, crouch, extend, adds gravity and lag to the swing to gain speed rather than lateral movement.
          Lateral movement is used by some as a means to an end, but I like to think that the end doesn't always justify the means.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayde Johnson View Post
            Hello all, has anyone really struggled with staying centered, and having their head move all over the place, and had a successful transformation to being very centered with steady head?

I've made progress getting more and more out to the target and with my rhythm, but really struggle with my head moving all over the place. Specifically, it moves way back off the ball. Of course, progress with out to target and rhythm is limited when I'm so off center, being they're all connected.

Even practicing the OLD and feet together, my head will move around too much. Any recommendations? I'm getting ready to have someone start holding my hair as I practice!
            Wayde

you've gotten a lot of good thought from our WIG friends already....rather than echo their fine work ..I'll try a slightly different tack..

in your description of your head moving all over the place ..you say it moves way back off the ball...

I'd ask the question this way..is it just your head that is moving?

in a One Leg Drill or Feet Together Drill - for your head to move..that's an interesting dynamic..

assuming your One Leg Drill is setup correctly and your weight is pretty much all on your left side..

what do you observe moving your weight laterally and taking your head along for that ride..

honestly - I think it's a matter of physical survival for you to have your head move..I think for you to fight that move would probably cause you some fairly serious pain..

so what in your body can do that..

I'm betting it's your move off the ball..my guess would be that you're moving your arms rapidly away trying to get sufficient speed and extension to hit the ball on your way back through..

the WIG move is more of a pivot....

you're attempting the right drills - but I suspect you're overwhelming the feels you need by how you're moving initially..

you've gotten some good suggestions - I'd offer working on some very short, target focused shots..maybe using the One Leg Drill setup..and see where that takes you..

cheers for now

k_f
            from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
            tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Hi Wayde,
              Hi Everyone,

For me it really has become a visual thing

If I take my focus off the ball and my intended target and task, my center will be affected in a negative way.

I therefore would like to add the following videos to the ones already recommended for this thread

Great Contact and Spot on Direction: 7/18/2014
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnDMOklP73I&sns=em

Don't Move Your Eyes!: 4/3/2015
              http://youtu.be/KbUKSMeBxVc

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

Hi all, thanks for the tips and videos. I have been going through the various drills, looking for feels etc.. The one that I think will help me most in the medicine ball toss drill. It appears that during my backswing I would basically change the direction I was going to toss the medicine ball. I thought I was staying on target, but apparently not. With the medicine ball drill I really notice immediately the instant I go off target in the heave back, especially when combined with the FTD. So, I will combine the medicine ball drill with suggestions above and it should get me on track.

thanks all.

Comment

2 things that really help me with staying centred are a narrower stance and a slower back swing,more of a place than a toss really

Comment

Working...
                  X