Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Determining the Optimum Swing Anchor and Swing Path For Your Body - Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Determining the Optimum Swing Anchor and Swing Path For Your Body - Opinions?

Hi All
    When doing the braced tilt , I always placed more weight on the inside of my left leg at setup. But I still feel a restriction in my my left hip in the follow-through and I have to lift my right foot up off the ground otherwise I think I will damage something (my left knee most likely). Actually , throughout my golf career , I've always tried to pivot around my left hip in the downswing as I thought this was the 'proper way' . As golf instruction and the importance of bio-mechanics studies have progressed , I think it might be worthwhile considering whether pivoting with more weight on the left hip in the downswing could be detrimental for certain individuals.

For example, look at this video which specifically tests which swing anchor is suitable for this individual (there are other similar videos for other pupils too).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao-_xCHwMB4

Is the WIG swing suitable for all anchor types or one that just fits Shawn's swing anchor? For example can I still tweak my WIG type swing if I find I am a rear anchor golfer (ie.like Tom Kite was when he won a lot of tournaments)?

Have you seen this video?

Comment

Hi Gary - Yes I've seen this video and I think it shows that Shawn is a front anchor golfer. A rear anchor golfer like Tom Kite is shown below .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHwrdibK70I

Note how flared out his left foot is , because he had trouble clearing his left side (like I do ) and he's predominantly pivoting around his right hip. Funny enough, Tom changed his swing to a front anchor and wasn't as successful. So are you saying that its still possible to perform a WIG swing if you are a rear anchor golfer?
      Last edited by Schrodinger; 12-31-2015, 10:17 AM.

Comment

I see what you are saying now.

After watching Tom Kite's swing video, I definitely saw a weight shift back to his forward side when his left leg/foot used the ground to retract his body out of the way on his through swing.

As you have pointed out, we are all different. As long as you find a way to swing in harmony with gravity as you focus on your target and method of delivery to that target, you will develop a great WIG swing

Have you seen this video?

Comment

Hi Gary - Yes I've seen that one too but I'd better review it again. Actually , just found an SC video that may cure my balance issues in the follow-through (The Perpetual Balance Drill).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBe7hX-Ccpo

Maybe its more important to swing with freedom of motion than thinking about swing anchor positions. Already finding other golf instructions saying that we should incorporate different swing anchors depending on the golf club we use. Confusing stuff!!!

Actually , the video you posted above is a demonstration of using a rear anchor for an uphill shot so there must be a variation in swing anchor points between left to right hip depending on the task we need to complete.
          Last edited by Schrodinger; 12-31-2015, 06:49 PM.

Comment

One thing I am unclear about when bracing on my left side. Should my shoulders and spine just tilt or should my spine and shoulders rotate closed (clockwise for a righty) a bit?

Comment

Originally posted by mrfixit View Post
              One thing I am unclear about when bracing on my left side. Should my shoulders and spine just tilt or should my spine and shoulders rotate closed (clockwise for a righty) a bit?
              ​Hi guys,
              IMHO, When I "brace-tilt", I try to set my shoulders parallel to the line upon which I plan to SEND the Energy for the shot that I'm intending.

So, if I'm planning a DRAW, then yes, my shoulders do seem to want to "rotate closed" a bit; also thought of as "getting BEHIND the ball".
              For a FADE? Not so much.

Seems to work for me?

Dude abides
              "OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
              Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Mrfixit,

Go to the Blog (GARY'S WIG NOTES) and go to the section titled Braced Tilt. There are plenty of videos about how you should brace yourself and also commentary by Shawn and the members of the Forum..

I would start what Costa recommended and then get deeper into it by watching the videos. If you have any more questions after please ask for help from all of us.

Thanks,

Gary

Comment

Actually , this is something I wasn't aware of (posted by HappyRoman in GARY'S WIG NOTES).

""The axis of rotation of the golf swing is from the sternum notch to the inside of the forward/lead foot" .

I always thought the axis of rotation was a line drawn from your centre of swing (Sternum Notch) through your COG.

Comment

• Gary
                    Gary commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Schrodinger,

Have you done the One Leg Drill?

See this video:

http://youtu.be/XwFfpzltvM0

Also, look at this post from @Alpinberlinette

http://wisdomingolf.vbulletin.net/fo...nd-1-leg-drill
                    Last edited by Gary; 01-02-2016, 03:27 PM.

• Schrodinger
                    Schrodinger commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Many thanks Gary - No , I didn't see this one before. I'll try and do the drill properly and see if I can keep my balance in the follow-through.

• jmc
                    jmc commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Schrodinger,
                    If you have the premium channel look at his latest training session 9. The drill with the ribbon starting with the one legged drill then moving on into the full swing. This will get you to have your anchor without thinking about it. These training sessions are really great and I highly suggest to everyone if you haven't tried it give it a whirl. Good luck!

Thanks for the tips, folks! My internet connection has been kind of wonky so I haven't been able to watch the videos but I will check those out as soon as I can.

I remember in the video series where he talks about setting up for the fade and draw by moving the ball back and forwards in his stance and then setting up behind the ball and I seem to recall he talks about it in the door frame video as well.

What I'm feeling is that my head and weight are centered over the inside of my left foot BEFORE I set the club head behind the ball.

Update: Thank you SO much! That really cleared it up for me and I'm going to practice at the net today.
                  Last edited by mrfixit; 01-01-2016, 01:23 PM. Reason: Got to watch the videos finally!

Comment

Hi All
                    The reasoning for my question about swing anchor was because I thought this might explain why I can't follow through properly (it really is a big painful strain). Therefore I thought that I'd clear better in the follow-through by pivoting around my rear (right hip) which seems so much easier for me than trying to pivot around my front hip (left).

I must apologise as I've drifted down the wrong path for a root cause.

I've resurrected an old habit of rotating my shoulders 'around' ,forgetting Shawn's advice about letting that right shoulder feel as if it was going under my chin (while the left above and behind). For some anatomical reason , having a steeper shoulder turn seems to allow me to follow-through with less pain and strain. So obviously a flatter shoulder plane is somehow restricting the clearance of my hips but bugging me why (must be something to do with my body not allowing it because I'd lose balance - don't know).

Comment

Hi Schrodinger,

It is very important to do the drills like Kettle Bell, Hammer Through, One Leg and other drills.

These drills show you how the TALL TURNTABLE (shoulders, ribcage and pelvis) turn as one unit over the hips.

I have realized the importance of keeping the weight of my head supported by the inside of my forward side.

You want to keep your sternal notch braced against your forward side.

The drills will teach and reinforce these positions and feelings.

See the link to some of these drills below:

http://wisdomingolf.vbulletin.net/bl...tes/542-drills

Hope this will help you,

Gary

Comment

• Schrodinger
                        Schrodinger commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Many thanks again Gary - I've also just reviewed the 'arms falling in front' and 'hips clearing drill' , 'backswing weight shift' videos. So getting there (I think) to fix this follow-through problem of mine.

What a great thread you guys! And yes, the episode 9 of the off season training would be the perfect remedy here! Shawn

Comment

Until I saw Shawn's "Rope a Dope Your Swing!" -video I wasn't aware how important it is to use the rear leg (inner arch) when starting the backswing. I bought a battle rope immediately and started practicing and every video I've watched for the last few years made sense after training with rope.

I've noticed it's very difficult for me to embrace the techniques and the "message" of the videos without seeing Shawn himself. This rope has been the biggest swing aid for me to understand the message and do things more right. And trust me, I have used a lot of them! Of course every video has helped me to find the right path but I think the battle rope is a huge discovery!

What has happened to my swing after starting training with the dope rope:

- More weight on rear leg on setup
                        - Rear leg turns the body out of the way (rope is heavy and you MUST use the rear leg to pull it) and the club goes to backswing without crashing
                        - While weight decently on the rear leg in the backswing, easier to stay behind the ball
                        - When starting downswing, MUCH easier to stay behind ball -> Front leg clears the front hip more powerfully
                        - Baton swirl comes naturally when anchored so securely
                        - Understanding how I have to really keep the weight inside my feet to do all this
                        - So bolted on the ground during swing, I can really produce the velocity from ground up using my legs
                        - Don't have a clue what ACU is doing during the swing!!!
                        - Understanding how I have to adjust my grip to feel the hammer&nail
                        - No matter how slow or hard I swing, the technique stays together

Thanks Shawn for all this! I played yesterday in a golf simulator and hit so many pure golf shots that I... just... can't.... wait.... the golf season to start!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBerthu View Post
                          Until I saw Shawn's "Rope a Dope Your Swing!" -video I wasn't aware how important it is to use the rear leg (inner arch) when starting the backswing. I bought a battle rope immediately and started practicing and every video I've watched for the last few years made sense after training with rope.

I've noticed it's very difficult for me to embrace the techniques and the "message" of the videos without seeing Shawn himself. This rope has been the biggest swing aid for me to understand the message and do things more right. And trust me, I have used a lot of them! Of course every video has helped me to find the right path but I think the battle rope is a huge discovery!

What has happened to my swing after starting training with the dope rope:

- More weight on rear leg on setup
                          - Rear leg turns the body out of the way (rope is heavy and you MUST use the rear leg to pull it) and the club goes to backswing without crashing
                          - While weight decently on the rear leg in the backswing, easier to stay behind the ball
                          - When starting downswing, MUCH easier to stay behind ball -> Front leg clears the front hip more powerfully
                          - Baton swirl comes naturally when anchored so securely
                          - Understanding how I have to really keep the weight inside my feet to do all this
                          - So bolted on the ground during swing, I can really produce the velocity from ground up using my legs
                          - Don't have a clue what ACU is doing during the swing!!!
                          - Understanding how I have to adjust my grip to feel the hammer&nail
                          - No matter how slow or hard I swing, the technique stays together

Thanks Shawn for all this! I played yesterday in a golf simulator and hit so many pure golf shots that I... just... can't.... wait.... the golf season to start!

Hi guys

​I think THIS is a major break-through in its OWN right!

Good for you!

Be water, my friends
                          Dude abides

"OLD" Forum Participation

Entry Date: 18-JAN-2011
                          Thank You: 1048

"Be water, my friends"

Comment

Working...
                          X