Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral Movements

Hi Everyone,

This post is about my limited knowledgeof lateral moves in the golf swing. I just want to get a better understanding of this lateral movement business.

I agree that there should not be any lateral arm swing motions during the golf swing. However, it appears that there are lateral body movements involved.

There is a slight lateral move of the lower body during the through swing. See the video below starting at about minute 6:00 where Shawn says this lateral move is necessary because there is more tilt at impact than there is at address and you want to keep your head behind the ball.

Brandel Chamblee indicated in his new book, "The Anatomy of Greatness" under the chapter The Initial Move Away from the Ball, starting on page 75, there is a slight lateral move of the body to the right, because the body is moving back the distance that the right knee has been set toward the target or was kicked in during the forward press. However, I am waiting for Shawn to review this chapter of the book and get his take on this.

I guess if there are lateral moves that we are not aware of them during the golf swing because they are so small.

Does anyone here have more information about lateral moves?

Thanks,

Gary

Hi Gary - I always though the lateral movement had already happened 'behind you' in the HPM move.

The lateral move is mentioned in the below video at 2:29

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggLTM9bfD54
    Last edited by Schrodinger; 05-23-2016, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Haha! The best videos for this are the following;
      "best downswing weightshift shawn clement" and "walk to a better swing shawn clement"
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CSHqnYNijw
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mIq15Ra3X0

Comment

Thanks Schrodinger and Shawn for the confirmation that there are lateral moves or shifts that take place in our golf swings.

There are now plenty of videos referenced in this thread that we can go back to to understand when these lateral moves occur.

I have read in some of the threads in this Forum that some of us thought there was no lateral movements.

I thought after reading these threads that it was me that did not understand what a lateral move was. This was the reason I started this thread to clear up what a lateral move was.

Thanks again,

Gary

Comment

• Schrodinger
          Schrodinger commented
          Editing a comment
          I have made comments before wondering whether there was any 'net lateral' move at impact in any pro golf swing. For example , you would have thought Moe Norman's golf swing had a massive lateral movement, but apparently that isn't the case. Its a temporary lateral movement of his sacrum in the transition but then moves back close to the address position by impact (maybe an inch forward of address). My WIG swing has very minimal net lateral hip movement when my 'centrifugal pump' looks and feels natural and in balance. That's because I don't have very flexible hips so my HPM move is limited.

Gary can you give me name of video where Shawn talks about the snap in the backswing and forward swing. Also it contained a drill for this. Thanks for your help

Comment

• Gary
          Gary commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi JMC,

Here are a couple of videos that might be what you are looking for. If they are not I have a few more that might answer your question.

https://youtu.be/04yrg4jDmFc

https://youtu.be/Z7e8Rx6IbsI

Thanks,

Gary

• jmc
          jmc commented
          Editing a comment
          Gary the ones you gave are great but not the one I am looking for. The video starts with the medicine ball toss to get witdth, then feet together toss, then one leg toss. From there he uses golf club doing the same drills and the talks about the snap. Thanks for your help--your the best

For anyone who is interested,

Along with the videos Gary posted, here's another one that I found very helpful (starting at about the 7:45 mark) where Shawn shows the "fall; snap; hinge" in the backswing, and the "fall; snap; hinge" in the forward swing . . . and then he shows the "snap; let it hinge" in both directions with a one hand drill . . .

Last edited by Cally; 05-24-2016, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Hi JMC,

Here is another video that is similar to what you are looking for.

thanks,

Gary

Comment

• jmc
            jmc commented
            Editing a comment
            Gary, that's it! Thank you so much for finding this for me. This has been very helpful for myself but also a few of my students.
        Working...
        X