15,000 RPM Backspin? C'mon... no way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15,000 RPM Backspin? C'mon... no way

So, was hitting at a local simulator and was hitting a 60 yard approach over water with a Lob Wedge. 3/4 swing landed me back of the green right where I wanted. After it landed though it had so much backspin it came screaming all the way back across the green 15 yds and rolled into the water. Now I have never in my life hit a real approach shot that got any significant backspin at all, so I'm kinda doubting the simulator. So, I retake the shot, and get the same result, 2 more times. Then I look up at the stats after the last shot and I see the simulator is telling me there was 15,000 RPMs of backspin on the ball. So, questions: Is that RPM even plausible in real life or is this a symptom of hitting off artificial turf covered plywood? How would I stop hitting it with so much backspin? Thanks for the feedback!

Originally posted by Jason View Post
    So, was hitting at a local simulator and was hitting a 60 yard approach over water with a Lob Wedge. 3/4 swing landed me back of the green right where I wanted. After it landed though it had so much backspin it came screaming all the way back across the green 15 yds and rolled into the water. Now I have never in my life hit a real approach shot that got any significant backspin at all, so I'm kinda doubting the simulator. So, I retake the shot, and get the same result, 2 more times. Then I look up at the stats after the last shot and I see the simulator is telling me there was 15,000 RPMs of backspin on the ball. So, questions: Is that RPM even plausible in real life or is this a symptom of hitting off artificial turf covered plywood? How would I stop hitting it with so much backspin? Thanks for the feedback!
    Hi Jason,

Welcome to the forum!

That does seem like a lot of backspin, and like you I would tend to doubt the simulator, but I'm not one who knows enough about this stuff to give you a good answer.

That said, here's a Trackman video on spinning wedges that can hopefully give you something for a comparison to the numbers you were getting on a similar distance shot with a lob wedge, and also with a sand wedge) . . .

Hope this helps, at least a little!

Comment

Jason, here's another Trackman video that I just ran across to give you some more numbers for comparison on similar distance shots with a lob wedge . . .

Comment

Hi Jason, Greetings Senor Cally, Hola WIG Friends everywhere..

15K RPM for any stick, let alone a wedge is pretty much unheard of - clearly an anomaly of some sort - and I would imagine that the sensor was fooled somehow ..came across this site where they have a variety of discussions going about the hows and whys of the technology..

http://golfsimulatorforum.com/

some stuff that I've read indicates there an be a variety of ways to get sensors to misread launch angles, spin rates and what not - and adjustments to address those concerns.. what might make sense is to get some baseline trackman data and then use that as a reference in getting some kind of read and adjustments going on the simulator.

hope that's of some kind of useful contribution..

cheers

k_f

here's some simulator theory as to how it reads a ball - the short of it is that depending on how light is bouncing off the surface of the ball - can make a big difference in how the sensor reads it and the computer plots it

http://www.golf-simulators.com/Future.html

from the hidden Ravine below 13th at CN G&CC
        tu nunquam hic

Secret Swing Tech c/o Pigaman @ Crackpot Labs

wisdomingolf.com/index.php?option=com_ku...&id=47972&Itemid=225

let energy instead of style define you.

Proud Member 'Quote Yourself Club'

Comment

Thanks all, great links and good discussion!

Comment

Working...
          X